Poulet Orleans - Orleans Chicken
This dish refers to the Ile d'Orleans in the St. Lawrence River, near Quebec City, where the apples are plentiful.
It is a very tasty dish.
- 2 - 2 1/2 pound chicken
- sprinkling of salt and paprika
- 2 cups diced, toasted bread
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1/2 cup sliced unpeeled apples
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 3 tbsp melted butter
- pinch of thyme and parsley
- 6 unpeeled apples
- 2 slices bacon
- 1/2 pint cream (18%)
- 1 1/2 ounces cognac
How to Make Poulet Orleans - Orleans Chicken
- 1Preheat oven to 350F
- 2Clean and prepare the chicken for stuffing. Rub the inside of the body cavity with cognac and sprinkle with salt and paprika.
- 3Mix together; toasted bread, celery, unpeeled apples, raisins, 3 tbsp melted butter and a pinch of thyme and parsley.
- 4Stuff chicken and truss.
- 5In a large pan brown the stuffed chicken in butter.
- 6Thickly slice the apples and brown lightly in pan.
- 7Cover the bottom of a casserole dish with the browned sliced apples.
- 8Cut the chicken in half and place the chicken on top of the apples, breasts side up.
- 9Put the two slices of bacon over the top of the chicken breasts.
- 10Surround with the remaining apple slices.
- 11Baked covered in 350 F oven for 1 3/4 hours or until tender. During the last 30 minutes of cooking remove the cover to brown the casserole.
- 12Serve right in the casserole dish.
Mix the cognac and cream together.
- 13When ready to serve, baste with the cream and cognac mixture.