PORTUGUESE GARLIC CHICKEN
- 1 large
- onion,sliced thin
- 7 clove
- fresh garlic ,sliced thin
- 12 medium
- 1/3 c
- baked or cooked ham chopped
- 1/2 c
- golden raisins
- 3 3/4 lb
- whole chicken
- 1/2 c
- port wine(or chicken stock low sodium)
- 1/4 c
- brandy ( or chicken stock low sodium)
- 1 tsp
- dijon mustard
- 2 tsp
- tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tsp
- 2 Tbsp
- cold water
- 1 tsp
- red wine vinegar
- also you will need to garnish the happy chicken ,with fresh parsley sprigs, tomato wedges taste first before adding more salt.
How to Make PORTUGUESE GARLIC CHICKEN
- 1COMBINE onions,garlic tomatoes, ham and raisins.
RESERVE the neck and giblets for other uses.
- 2RISE or bathe your chicken inside and out, and pat dry.TUCK wingtips under; the drumsticks together.
Place chicken on top of all the onions mixture.
- 3Mix port wine ,port and brandy mustard and tomato paste and pour over the chicken.
COVER and cook on LOW setting until meat near thighbone is very tender ,when pierced (7 to 1/2 to 8 hours) CAREFULLY lift chicken to rack of a broiler pan.
- 4BROIL 4-6 inches below heating ,until Golden brown.(about 5 minutes.
- 5TRANSFER to warm platter and cover .SKIN and discard fat from cooking liquid .BLEND in cornstarch mixture.
IN cornstarch mixture .INCREASE slow ,heat setting to high.Cover liquid and stirring two or three times until sauce is thickened (about 10 minutes)
- 6STIR IN VINEGAR ;and season to taste.
TO SERVE ,garnish the happy chicken with parsley springs and tomato wedges.
CARVE the bird and top with some of the sauce .
- 7SERVE remaining sauce in gravy picture or gravy boat.
- 8ENJOT It this recipe remandes me of my mom.s house cooking all day long.Our family together for a sunday dinner .Serve with portuguese mountain bread ,and glass of white wine.OR glass of water sliced lemons.
Now you can cook it almost whole day and no mass, just add few things and your enjoy yourself and your family. Happycook diva