Pineapple Chicken ( Baw Law Gai)
The flavors blend perfectly and the chicken is super tender!
I suggest you serve it with Connie's fried rice recipe:
Yang Chow Fried Rice
2boneless chicken breasts (large) or 4 smaller
1 can(s)pineapple chunks (or 1 1/2 cups fresh)
MARINATE FOR CHICKEN
1 Tbspoil (vegetable or your choice)
2 tspsoy sauce
FOR THE SAUCE
3 tspsoy sauce
4 Tbsppineapple juice reserved from jar or from fresh
How to Make Pineapple Chicken ( Baw Law Gai)
- Cut chicken into strips about 1/2 inch wide and 1 1/2 inch long.
- Mix the marinate ingredients together:
1 teaspoon cornstarch, pepper,1 tablespoon oil,1/2 teaspoon salt and 2 teaspoons soy sauce.
- Add the cut up chicken and coat well with marinate.
Let marinate in fridge,covered, for at least 15 minutes. Can marinate as long as you like, it improves the flavors. 15 minutes is the minimum, and it works as well.
- Cut pineapple slices into chunks. If you are using a can of chunks, of course you dont have to cut them. If you are using fresh pineapple, use about 1 - 1 1/2 cups total, or to your liking. I tend to "eyeball" how much I use, by equalling the amount of chicken and pineapple to be about the same.
DO NOT DISCARD THE PINEAPPLE JUICE!!! You will need 4 tablespoons later for the sauce.
- Mix the sauce ingredients:
3 teaspoons soy sauce,2 Tablespoons water,4 Tablespoons pineapple juice and 2 teaspoons cornstarch. Mix well. Set aside.
Heat 2 Tablespoons of oil and the salt until very hot in skillet.
Add marinated chicken and stir fry for 3 minutes.
Add pineapple,reduce heat to low and cover. Cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add the sauce ingredients:
(3 teaspoons soy sauce, 2 Tablespoons water, 4 Tablespoons pineapple juice, 2 teaspoons cornstarch.)
to the skillet along with the chicken and pineapple. Cook and stir until the sauce thickens slightly. About 3 minutes more.
- Serve over rice, fried rice or chinese noodles. (even regular pasta would work!)