This wonderful dish is easy to make with excellent results; a lovely meal that will have your family swooning.
12 Tbspchicken thighs, skin and bone on
1/2 - 3/4 tspsalt
1/2 Tbspwhite pepper
2 largeapples, golden delicious or granny smith, wedged
1/3 cflour, for dredging
1 - 1 1/2 Tbspbutter
1/2 Tbspvegetable or olive oil, add a little more if necessary
1/2 largesweet onion, diced
2french shallots, finely chopped
1 clovegarlic, minced, (optional)
1/4 cgood quality apple brandy, or plain french brandy
1 1/2 - 2 cfresh apple cider
1 sprig(s)large, fresh thyme
1/2 Tbspfresh sage, finely chopped
1/2 cheavy cream
1/4 tspdijon mustard
How to Make Normandy Chicken
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper and set aside for twenty minutes or until needed.
- In a large pan add the butter and oil. Turn heat to medium and add the apple wedges, watch carefully, turning frequently, until they are slightly golden and caramelized.
Remove from pan, drain and set aside until needed.
- Now you are ready to start on the chicken.
In a medium size bowl add the flour, salt and pepper; mix well and dredge your chicken in it, shaking off any extra flour.
- Add the butter and oil into your frying pan, turn heat to medium.
Place the thighs skin side down in pan and fry for 5 minutes, until golden, remove and set aside.
- Next, add the shallots and garlic to the pan and fry over low heat for 5 minutes, remove from pan and set aside.
Then raise the heat in the pan to medium high and add the onions, increase the heat to medium high, fry for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally; watch they don't burn.
- Now add the brandy to the pan, scaping any brown bits you see.
Then add the cider, and reserved shallot/garlic mixture, and boil until reduced by half.
Now add the thyme and sage, mix well and remove from heat.
- In a baking pan add the onion mixture and then place the chicken, skin side up over top of the onions. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Take out the chicken thighs and set aside until needed.
- Put the pan on high heat add the apples and reduce sauce by half.
Add the heavy cream and dijon mustard, stirring well; then turn down the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- When ready to eat, put the apples and onion on the bottom of your plate then top with the chicken and sauce.