Maw-Maw's Chicken and Dumplings
★★★★★ 2 votes5
1/2 call purpose flour
1/2 cvegetable oil
4 cchicken broth
4 tspparsley, chopped
·salt/pepper to taste
·pioneer baking mix (follow drop biscuit recipe)
How to Make Maw-Maw's Chicken and Dumplings
- Cut hen into pieces: 2 legs, 2 thighs, 2 wings, 2 breasts. Keep other parts to let them stew in the broth.
- Chop onion, celery, and parsley. These will be added later.
- In a medium-high dutch oven put in oil and then flour, stir to combine. This step is very important to NEVER walk away from the pot. Using a wooden spoon, continually stir flour and oil mixture in a figure 8 motion. You are making a roux and you need to get it to the color of peanut butter. Stir continually until you get that color.
- Once roux is the perfect color, then add celery and onions and a teaspoon of salt. Stir to combine and let it sweat for a minute or so.
- Add chicken broth and pieces of hen to pot. Use water if necessary to cover the hen. Add slat and pepper to taste.
- Let this stew on medium-low heat for approximately an hour, until hen is tender. A hen takes time to cook and become tender.
- Once hen is done, I usually remove the meat from the bones. Discard the bones and keep meat warm.
- Mix pioneer baking mix to drop biscuit recipe for dumplings. Bring broth to a boil. Drop about 4-5 tablespoons of drop biscuit mix in broth, put on cover. Wait about 3 minutes before removing cover. Dumplings should be big and fluffy.
- Remove dumplings that are done, keep in a corning ware with cover. Repeat step 8 until dough is used. You may need to add more water to broth, as the dumplings will soak it up as they cook.
- Finally, after all dumplings are done, add chopped parsley to broth, you may want to return the hen meat to warm through again. Serve over rice with dumplings on the side.