Mama's Cornbread and Chicken Casserole - Dee Dee's
Diane Hopson Smith
My mother had a really nice collection of "wonderful down home cooking" recipes. And, this is one of my favorites!! This very moist casserole does not need gravy, but you may want some anyway for the mashed potatoes which is an excellent side dish.
4 to 6chicken breast, boiled (reserve broth)
1 can(s)cream of celery soup
1 can(s)cream of chicken soup
1 cchicken broth (reserved from cooking chicken)
1 stickmargarine or butter, melted
1pan of corn bread (8 or 9-inch pan) recipe doesn't call for it, however, i add sliced celery and chopped onion to the cornbread batter before baking
2boiled eggs, chopped up, optional
How to Make Mama's Cornbread and Chicken Casserole - Dee Dee's
- Preheat ovent to 325 degrees.
- Cook (boil) chicken breasts until done; save 1 cup broth. (For added flavor, I added 1/2 cup of chopped celery, 1/2 cup chopped onion and 3 chicken bouilon cubes to this broth) Freeze remaining broth to use in other dishes.
- Remove chicken from broth and cool enough to handle. Pull chicken off bones; cut in bite size pieces; set aside.
- In the mean time, bake your favorite cornbread. After baking cornbread, let cool. Crumble up corn bread fine and pour melted margarine over corn bread. Mix well; set aside.
NOTE 2: if cornbread is warm just add butter that is at room temperature to the warm crumbs and stir to combine.
NOTE 2: I made a 10-inch skillet of cornbread and took out 2 slices to serve with our meal.
- To the cut up chicken add 1 cup chicken broth and both cans of soup.
NOTE: If you don't have cream of celery, use 2 cans of cream of chicken.