Jo's Chicken Sausage Stuffed Portabello Mushrooms
4 largeportabella mushrooms
4 Tbspolive oil
2 sliceturkey bacon (minced)
4 Tbspminced vedalia onion (minced)
4 Tbspsweet bell pepper, any colour (minced)
2 largegarlic cloves (minced)
1 cgluten free bread crumbs (divided)
1/2 cromano cheese
2 tspfresh ground black pepper or to taste
How to Make Jo's Chicken Sausage Stuffed Portabello Mushrooms
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms and set aside. Rub the mushrooms all over with olive oil. Mince the mushroom stems and set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 400'F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Heat a medium sized skillet. I get my sausage in a casing, I remove the sausage and discard the casing.
Add the sausage and cook until most of the pink is gone. Add the minced turkey bacon and saute it for a minute or two.
- Next add the minced onion, bell pepper and garlic, saute for another couple of minutes. Turn off the heat and set it aside.
- If you want to make your own Gluten Free bread crumbs, I took two pieces of bread and ripped them up and processed them until they were fine crumbs. I have never seen gluten free crumbs here, so making my own was necessary.
- Mix the bread crumbs and the cheese in a bowl. Reserve 6 tablespoons so you can sprinkle it on the top of the stuffed mushrooms.
- In a large bowl add the bread crumb/cheese mixture, minced mushroom stems, sausage mixture, herbs and spices and gently toss to combine. Add the two eggs and mix well until you have a sticky mixture.
- Stuff each of the 4 mushrooms well. You should have a good mound on each. Set on the prepared baking sheets and top with your reserved bread crumb cheese mixture.
- Bake at 400'F for 15-20 minutes. Serve warm.