Indian Chicken with Cashew Rice
Daily Inspiration S
Recipe from Food Network Magazine.
- 1 large
- bunch cilantro (leaves and tender stems)
- serrano chile pepper (remove seeds for less heat) or use a pepper that is not as hot such as a jalapeno
- clove garlic
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 c
- sweetened shredded coconut
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 2 Tbsp
- vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp
- curry powder
- 1/2 tsp
- 1 c
- jasmine rice
- 1/4 c
- salted cashews
How to Make Indian Chicken with Cashew Rice
- 1Preheat the oven to 450 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil. Set aside 2 tbsp. cilantro leaves for the rice. Puree the remaining cilantro leaves and stems, the serrano, garlic, 1/4 cup water, the lemon juice, 2 tbsp. coconut, 1/2 tsp. salt and a few grinds of pepper in a blender until smooth, adding up to 2 tbsp. more water, if needed.
- 2Toss the chicken thighs with half of the cilantro sauce on the prepared baking sheet; arrange skin-side up. Season generously with salt and pepper. Roast until the skin is crisp and the chicken is cooked through, about 25 minutes.
- 3Meanwhile, heat the vegetable oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the curry powder, turmeric and a few grinds of pepper; cook, stirring until toasted, 30 seconds. Add the rice and cook, stirring, until well coated, 1-2 minutes. Add 1 1/2 cups water and 1/2 tsp. salt. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, 5 minutes.
- 4Fluff the rice with a fork. Stir in the cashews, the remaining 2 tbsp. coconut and the reserved 2 tbsp. cilantro. Serve with the chicken; top with remaining cilantro sauce.