Heavenly Chicken Soup, Hungarian Style
The most interesting part of this recipe is that a lot of the vegetables go into the pot whole, but by the end of the cooking time they've all but disappeared!
- whole cut up chicken
- 4 - 5
- carrots, cut into pieces approximately 4 inches long
- 4 - 5
- celery stalks, cut into pieces approximately 4 inches long
- whole onion (only remove most outer skin) (do not cut! it goes into the pot whole!)
- 1 or 2
- whole cloves garlic
- whole tomato (do not cut! it goes into the pot whole!)
- whole potato (do not cut! it goes into the pot whole!)
- core of cabbage (set aside outer leaves. use core only)
- 1/2 to 3/4
- parsley root or parsnip cut into large pieces
- whole green pepper (do not cut! it goes into the pot whole!)
- bunch of parsley tied together w/white thread
- 1 Tbsp
- tablespooon whole black pepper corns
- salt to taste
How to Make Heavenly Chicken Soup, Hungarian Style
- 1Cover chicken in very large stock pot with water.
Slowly bring to a simmer. Remove scum from top. DO NOT ALLOW IT TO BOIL!
- 2When it begins to simmer and all the scum is removed, add the vegetables, approximately 1 tablespoon of whole black pepper and salt.
- 3Simmer, being careful not to boil, until the chicken and carrots are tender.
- 4Allow everything to cool. Remove everything from the broth. Set chicken aside. Remove a few pieces of carrot to garnish the soup if you'd like. Squeeze juices from any remaining vegetables through a fine sieve back into the broth. Discard what is left of the vegetables.
- 5Broth can be served with any kind of small noodles and parsley sprinkled on top. Crushed red pepper is also good if you like it hot/spicy.
- 6I added a small amount of shredded chicken back into the broth. The rest of the chicken makes a good chicken salad, chicken casserole, etc.