Hot pepper Mustard
Hope you try it you will LOVE it!
Here is also a link to the recipe posted by Thyme Square Gardens she posted it for me too thymesquaregarden.blogspot.com/...ml
- 36 medium
- banana peppers, 30 hot 6 very hot it's up to you, i only had fresh sweet peppers so i used 5 cups chopped sweet and 2 cups chopped store bought banana hot peppers
- 32 oz
- apple cider vinegar, can also use white
- 32 oz
- yellow mustard, store bought prepared
- 5 c
- white sugar
- 1 Tbsp
- canning salt
- 2 c
- cold filtered water
- 1 c
- clear-jel (ordered on line or from an amish store)
How to Make Hot pepper Mustard
- 1WARNING: Always use protective gloves and mask when working with HOT Peppers to avoid chemical burns.
Chop Peppers finely. I rough chopped them and then put them into my food processor.
- 2To a large no reactive pan add ground up peppers Vinegar, Salt, Mustard, Sugar. Stir well~!
Bring mix to a boil then boil for about 5 minutes stirring with a wooden spatula, making sure mixture does not scorch.
- 3Mix cold water and Clear-Jel in a bowl or large measuring cup.
Turn off heat~! Wisk in Clear-Jel to mixture.
At this point I use my immersion blender and blend until smooth, that will be up to you if you like it smooth or chunky! Mixture might seem thin but it will thicken up after it processes in BWB and it cools.
You can adjust the heat of your mustard by the banana peppers you use. If you like it milder use more sweet peppers and less hot peppers.
- 4Quickly ladle into HOT sterilized jars, I left 1/4 inch head space my original instructions didn't give a head space measurement. Clean rim of jar and put lids and bands on finger tight. Process in boiling water bath for 20 minutes, after 20 minutes in BWB turn off heat and let set in canner for 10 minutes before removing.
When removing from canner I hold a sauce pan under the jar in case it might burst from the cold air or could have been cracked during processing. Place a towel on counter or table and place jars on it until the jars have cooled.
- 5After 24 hours remove bands, in a clean sink or wash pan make a bath of mild soapy cool water with a splash of vinegar , rinse and dry or let air dry, then store in cool dark place. Drop your bands in the same water and swish around and remove any sticky syrup that might have leaked on them. Rinse and dry for next use.
I adjusted the canning instructions and one of the ingredients to this recipe.
- 6Be aware that the color of your Hot mustard will be affected by the kind/color of peppers you use. As well as the spices. If you look closely at my picture in the two groups of Hot Mustard you can see a color difference, The jars on the left are from a recipe where I added the spices and brown sugar. The jars on the right are from this recipe the original recipe.