- 2 -3 lb
- chicken (or your favorite meat)
- olive oil ( or 2 t. butter & then crisco so when it melts it is a light cover of pan bottom)
- 1 clove
- garlic, minced
- stalks celery, diced up small. can dice up some of the leaves too
- 3 - 6
- green onions, sliced thin, some of the green too
- 2 - 3
- carrots sliced thin, and then cut in half
- mushrooms, fresh or canned, i like button & sliced in there
- onion, diced small
- 1 can(s)
- water sliced water chestnuts, cut in half ( can also do bamboo shoots as well)
- 3 - 4 can(s)
- bean sprouts, (can also use fresh, i do when i have them)
- 2 can(s)
- chowmein vegetables
- 1 - 2 can(s)
- cream of mushroom soup (can do 1 ea. the mushroom soup and cream of chicken soup)
- salt, pepper and celery salt to taste
- soy sauce to taste
- can use a couple packets of gravy mix, i use pork gravy mix, when i make pork chowmein
- chowmein noodles or rice
How to Make Homemade Chowmein
- 1I make this in an electric frypan. So get out your pan and heat up the oil and turn it to warm. Start chopping your veggies. I start with the onions, celery and carrots, carrots are the hardest and require a little more cooktime. With the celery I also cut up parts of the leaves and add them as well. As you start adding the veggies, turn your heat up. Then continue with the rest of your veggies, which I alternate with the meat cutting, so I can have them all cooking at once. (for meat. . . like pork I use thin cut porkchops, boneless skinless chicken breasts, tenders and or thighs. If you have left over roasts to use, just cut them up whatever size you prefer and add after all the veggies have cooked a bit. If you are doing fresh mushrooms. . . add with the onion and garlic and carrots as they need to cook down in size. In this I did canned (drained) as that is what I had. Save the rest of the canned veggies for last!
- 2Add the meat as you cut it up as I said alternate cutting the meat with the veggies, once you have finished the veggies that need to cook the longest. As you add each batch of meat you cut up, stir it in good. Now might be a good time to add your salt pepper and celery salt. Also add a dash or two of soy sauce.
- 6Now that are canned veggies have been added and are thoroughly cooked. We will add the soup. If you are making chicken chowmein, you may want to do it 1 can cream of chicken soup and 1 can of cream of mushroom soup. With any other chowmein I do 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup. As I stated in description, you can play with this recipe. If you don't like mushrooms, choose another soup you do like. This is mainly for thickening, you can also add some Kitchen Bouquet at this point as well if you like it a little darker looking.
- 7Let your soup cook in stirring occasionally. At this point is also where I would add the gravy packets if I were doing pork. Once it is all thoroughly heated and the thickness you want the broth, it is ready. You can also thicken by blending together some flour, cornstarch (one the other or both) with water in the blender and adding it a little at a time for thickening.