Grydestegt Kylling (Danish Pot-Roasted Chicken)
1whole chicken (2-3 pounds)
·salt and pepper, to taste
1 bunchparsley (about 1 1/2 cups), rinsed
2 Tbspolive oil
2 cchicken stock
·water, as needed
1/4 call purpose flour
How to Make Grydestegt Kylling (Danish Pot-Roasted Chicken)
- Rinse and pat dry chicken. Salt and pepper the inside of the chicken and stuff parsley bunch into cavity. Tie legs together with cotton twine.
- In a heavy Dutch oven with lid, large enough to hold chicken (I use a cast iron pan) melt butter over medium-high heat; add oil. Place chicken, breast side down, in pot and brown 6-7 minutes. Turn chicken on side and brow 6-7 minutes. Repeat on other side, and again on back.
- When browned on all sides, place chicken breast side down again. Add chicken stock and water as needed, to come about 2-3 inches up side of chicken. Place lid on pot and reduce heat to a low simmer.
- Cook for 30 minutes and then check liquid level. I needed add a bit more water. Cook, covered for another 10 minutes.
- Turn chicken onto it's back and cover pot. Cook for another 20 minutes, or until a thermometer in breast reads 160F.
- Carve legs, thighs and wings from chicken. Slice breasts. Serve with the gravy. I also serve with mashed potates and steamed peas.