Grandma's Light and Fluffy Dumplings
How to Make Grandma's Light and Fluffy Dumplings
- In a bowl, combine flour and salt.
In a medium bowl, beat egg yolks until foamy.
In another clean mixing bowl, beat egg whites until they hold peaks (egg whites should still be shiny and not separate into chunks).
- Pour milk into saucepan,
Using a whisk, gradually stir flour/salt into milk.
- Bring the mixture to a boil.
Remove from heat.
- Add butter, stirring until melted.
Slowly stir a little of the hot milk mixture into the eggs yolks to temper, then add the rest of the egg yolks. Gently fold in the beaten egg whites.
- NOTE: Before folding in the egg whites, you can add herbs to suit your taste such as parsley or thyme. Parsley adds a nice mild flavor to your dumplings but be careful not to add too much!! It can be overpowering.
I use 1 sprig fresh parsley minced finely or 1 tbsp dry. mix well and then fold in the egg whites.
- Drop mixture from spoon into any boiling stew, gravy, or soup (drop in small portions), let boil for 6 minutes without lifting cover.
Will be light and delicious!