Grandmamma's Fried Chicken
How to Make Grandmamma's Fried Chicken
- 1Wash chicken pieces and pat dry. Heat shortening about 1 inch deep in an electric skillet to 365 degrees.
- 2Stir salt and pepper into flour and place in a shallow dish. Roll chicken pieces in seasoned flour and shake a little off. Roll again in flour mixture, then place in hot shortening.
- 3Do this slowly, a couple of pieces at a time, so you don't cool down your fat. Do not crowd chicken pieces. The trick is to keep your shortening hot.
- 4Turn chicken pieces every so often to brown evenly. Cook until the coating is a warm crispy brown. Remove the pieces that are done to a paper towel-lined platter and keep warm in a 180-degree oven while frying the rest of the chicken. Add more shortening if needed to keep it about 1 inch deep. Let it come up to temperature before adding more chicken.
- 5Serve chicken on a platter piled high. Call everyone to the table as soon as the chicken is done so everyone can experience the aroma and warm goodness.