Grandma Nancy's Chicken and Biscuits
Grandma went into an assisted living facility over 2 years ago; and unfortunately can no longer cook her delicious meals. Since she never followed recipes, there was no "official recipe" in writing for her famous Chicken & Biscuits. Oh, how we missed that meal!
So a few months ago, mom sat down with her and asked her to walk through her process step-by-step. Mom went home and made it and from the very first bite, she had it...mom nailed the recipe! I now have my hands on it and I was sure to get it written down so I can pass this family favorite onto my kids!! It's a new family favorite in this house!
8 cchicken broth, divided
1 ccarrots, peeled & chopped
1 ccelery, chopped
1 tsppoultry seasoning
4boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in half
1/4 tspsalt (more or less to taste)
1/2 tspground black pepper (more or less to taste)
1/2 ccold water
1 call-purpose flour
2 tspbaking powder
4 Tbspcold butter, cubed
1/4 c+ 2 tbsp. milk
How to Make Grandma Nancy's Chicken and Biscuits
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt. Using a pastry blender or knife, cut butter into mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in the milk a little at a time until a soft dough forms. Drop the dough onto a lightly greased or parchment-lined baking sheet (you should get about 6 biscuits). Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until light golden brown. Remove from oven and transfer to a wire cooling rack.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine 2 c. broth, carrots & celery. Heat on high, just until mixture comes to a boil and vegetables start to get tender.
- Add the remaining broth and chicken and bring the mixture back up to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and allow it to simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and place it on a plate. Use two forks to pull it apart into bite-sized pieces. Set aside momentarily.
- Meanwhile, whisk the cornstarch and cold water in a small bowl until thoroughly combined. Add mixture to the hot broth and whisk continuously over medium heat for 1-2 minutes. Add the chicken back to the saucepan and stir well.
- To serve, split a biscuit horizontally and place it on a serving plate. Spoon a generous amount of chicken & gravy over the biscuits. Serve with mashed potatoes if desired.