Grandma Nancy's Chicken and Biscuits
Grandma went into an assisted living facility over 2 years ago; and unfortunately can no longer cook her delicious meals. Since she never followed recipes, there was no "official recipe" in writing for her famous Chicken & Biscuits. Oh, how we missed that meal!
So a few months ago, mom sat down with her and asked her to walk through her process step-by-step. Mom went home and made it and from the very first bite, she had it...mom nailed the recipe! I now have my hands on it and I was sure to get it written down so I can pass this family favorite onto my kids!! It's a new family favorite in this house!
- 8 c
- chicken broth, divided
- 1 c
- carrots, peeled & chopped
- 1 c
- celery, chopped
- 1 tsp
- poultry seasoning
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in half
- 1/4 tsp
- salt (more or less to taste)
- 1/2 tsp
- ground black pepper (more or less to taste)
- 1/2 c
- 1/2 c
- cold water
- 1 c
- all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp
- baking powder
- 1/8 tsp
- 4 Tbsp
- cold butter, cubed
- 1/4 c
- + 2 tbsp. milk
How to Make Grandma Nancy's Chicken and Biscuits
- 1Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 2In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt. Using a pastry blender or knife, cut butter into mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- 3Stir in the milk a little at a time until a soft dough forms. Drop the dough onto a lightly greased or parchment-lined baking sheet (you should get about 6 biscuits). Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until light golden brown. Remove from oven and transfer to a wire cooling rack.
- 4Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine 2 c. broth, carrots & celery. Heat on high, just until mixture comes to a boil and vegetables start to get tender.
- 5Add the remaining broth and chicken and bring the mixture back up to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and allow it to simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours.
- 6Remove the chicken from the pan and place it on a plate. Use two forks to pull it apart into bite-sized pieces. Set aside momentarily.
- 7Meanwhile, whisk the cornstarch and cold water in a small bowl until thoroughly combined. Add mixture to the hot broth and whisk continuously over medium heat for 1-2 minutes. Add the chicken back to the saucepan and stir well.
- 8To serve, split a biscuit horizontally and place it on a serving plate. Spoon a generous amount of chicken & gravy over the biscuits. Serve with mashed potatoes if desired.