Gourmet Chicken Salad Sandwich
I have added yoghurt to the recipie so its healthier than just mayo alone!
It's got the sweet and tart of cranberries and the creamy texture of avacado, plus much more...
You can use it to make wraps, sandwiches, or even to fill in vol-au-vants (mini puff pastry baskets)
It's a grown-up chicken sandwich for the kid in all of us!
1 largechicken breasts, boneless and skinless
1 cchicken stock to boil chicken breast in.
1 Tbspgarlic paste
1 Tbspginger paste
1 pinchsalt and pepper or soy sauce
1 cyogurt, plain and nonfat (i also use greek yoghurt)
1/3 cmayonnaise, fat-free
1 largefresh ripe avacado
1 bunchspring onions
1 pkgdried cranberries
1 Tbspcracked black peppercorns
1 tspsugar (optional)
How to Make Gourmet Chicken Salad Sandwich
- First, clean chicken breast and remove excess fat and bits.
- Then, cut into small pieces. About 1 inch cubes.
- Marinate chicken cubes with garlic and ginger paste, and salt and pepper (or soy sauce.) I use soy sauce when I can because I feel it adds more depth to the flavor.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a saucepan over the stove on medium heat.
- Add the stock to the pan.
- Next add the marinated chicken cubes.
- Boil the chicken in the stock until the chicken is fully cooked through. I like to start breaking apart the chicken at this stage. It helps in two ways: first it tells me that the chicken is cooked; and second, it give me a head start in the shredding process.
- Take the pan off the heat and begin to shred the chicken using two forks. Keep any remaining liquid in the pan as you will need for your mixture.
- Leave chicken to cool in its own juices.
- In a seperate mixing bowl, add yoghurt and mayo and mix.
- Chop up the spring onions and the avacado.
- Add chopped avacado and spring onions ot the mixing bowl. I always throw in the pit of the avacado in the mixture to keep the chopped avacado from turning brown.
- Add dried cranberries and mix.
- Finally add the room temperature shredded chicken along with any residual juices from the saucepan. Should not be that much, about a tablespoon or so.
- Mix it all up and finally add cracked black peppercorns, salt, and sugar to taste!