Free Range Roasted Chicken with Juniper and Herb
- 4-5 lb
- free range chicken
- 1 Tbsp
- rosemary, fresh, chopped fine
- 5-6 large
- fresh sage leaves, chopped fine
- 2 Tbsp
- dried juniper berries, crushed with mortar and pestle
- 2 large
- garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 1/4 tsp
- kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp
- coarse ground pepper
- 6 Tbsp
- olive oil
- 1 large
- lemon, halved or quartered
- 1/2 c
- dry white wine
How to Make Free Range Roasted Chicken with Juniper and Herb
- 1Wash chicken and pat dry with paper towels.
- 2Mix rosemary, sage, juniper berries, salt, pepper, and garlic in a small bowl.
- 3Use 2-3 Tablespoons of olive oil to coat both the inside and the outside of the chicken. Use 1/2 of the herb mix to season the inside of the chicken and the remaining half to season the outside of chicken.
- 4Place the lemon pieces inside the chicken cavity. Use kitchen twine to tie the chicken legs and the wings in place.
- 5Pour the remaining olive oil in a roasting pan or iron skillet and place the chicken on top breast up.
- 6Bake in a 350 degree oven for 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 hours. Turn and baste every 10 minutes or so after the first half hour.
- 7When done, remove from oven and keep warm until you serve sliced or quartered.
- 8Separate the fat from the drippings. reduce the drippings and deglaze pan with 1/2 cup dry white wine. Spoon over chicken pieces to serve.