Free Range Roasted Chicken with Juniper and Herb
4-5 lbfree range chicken
1 Tbsprosemary, fresh, chopped fine
5-6 largefresh sage leaves, chopped fine
2 Tbspdried juniper berries, crushed with mortar and pestle
2 largegarlic cloves, finely minced
1 1/4 tspkosher salt
1/2 tspcoarse ground pepper
6 Tbspolive oil
1 largelemon, halved or quartered
1/2 cdry white wine
How to Make Free Range Roasted Chicken with Juniper and Herb
- Wash chicken and pat dry with paper towels.
- Mix rosemary, sage, juniper berries, salt, pepper, and garlic in a small bowl.
- Use 2-3 Tablespoons of olive oil to coat both the inside and the outside of the chicken. Use 1/2 of the herb mix to season the inside of the chicken and the remaining half to season the outside of chicken.
- Place the lemon pieces inside the chicken cavity. Use kitchen twine to tie the chicken legs and the wings in place.
- Pour the remaining olive oil in a roasting pan or iron skillet and place the chicken on top breast up.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 hours. Turn and baste every 10 minutes or so after the first half hour.
- When done, remove from oven and keep warm until you serve sliced or quartered.
- Separate the fat from the drippings. reduce the drippings and deglaze pan with 1/2 cup dry white wine. Spoon over chicken pieces to serve.