4 Bean Chicken Soup
Everyone loves this soup and begs me for the recipe. The unique thing about it is that you can customize it just about any way you want; add or subtract ingredients; change the spices. The possibilities are endless.
AND... it has a secret ingredient that you would never even guess!
Thanks for trying it and if you have any questions, please feel free to send me a message.
★★★★★ 2 votes5
2 Tbspolive oil
1 Tbspchopped garlic (more or less, as you like)
1 1/2 - 2 lbboneless, skinless chicken breasts
2stalks of celery, sliced
2 - 3 can(s)chicken broth (swanson is always good!)
1 can(s)s&w diced tomatoes, italian style with basil, oregano, etc.
1 can(s)black beans, drained & rinsed
1 can(s)kidney beans, save 1/2 the juice to add to the soup (it's sweet and helps to thicken the soup)
1 can(s)pinto beans, drained & rinsed
1 can(s)navy beans, drained & rinsed (these tend to disintegrate when cooked & thicken the soup, so you may substitute another kind of bean)
2 - 3 Tbspwishbone italian or zesty italian dressing (to taste)
1 tspitalian herb seasoning, if desired
How to Make 4 Bean Chicken Soup
- Brown whole chicken breasts in olive oil and garlic in a big, 4-quart pot.
Add carrots and celery.
- Remove chicken breasts when they are about half-done and cut them into bite-sized chunks. Re-add them to the pot.
- Add at least 2 cans of the chicken broth.
(You can always add more later)
- Add the S&W diced tomatoes, all 4 cans of the beans plus half the juice from the kidney beans.
Add the Italian Herb Seasoning, if desired.
- Cook until the carrots are tender. The chicken pieces should also be done.
- Add the Wishbone Italian dressing. Put in a tablespoon or so at a time until you think it tastes good. (I use this brand because I think it tastes the best and has a nice "twang" to it. Yes, my Dad was from Arkansas!)
- You may add other ingredients if you like or just experiment. One of my friends added 1/4 of a cabbage and, because she didn't have the bottled Italian dressing, she used the dry, packaged Italian dressing.