Egg Noodles and Gravy- Homemade
This is the smoothest gravy with a hint of sweet. The noodles and gravy together make a great supper meal.
This gravy tastes great over French fries and hot buttered biscuits, or rice.
This was my grandma's recipe and she taught it to my mom and mom taught it to me.
I hope you like this as much as we do.
- 2 c
- all purpose flour
- 3 large
- egg yolks only
- 1 large
- whole egg
- 1/2 c
- 1/2 tsp
- small chicken-cooked
- 1 c
- 5 c
- chicken broth
- 10 oz
- can cream of chicken soup
- 4 Tbsp
- all purpose flour
- 2 large
- eggs, hard boiled, diced or minced
- 2 Tbsp
- maple syrup or 1 tablespoon brown sugar
How to Make Egg Noodles and Gravy- Homemade
- 1Day before, bake chicken for dinner, Saving dripping from the baking pan and all that is left of the chicken for the following recipe.
Keep drippings and cut up meat. Place meat in refrigerator overnight with the drippings so you can scrape off the grease in the morning that gathers on the top.
- 2Next day scrape off any fat and warm the drippings and meat pieces, and broth in a large soup pot over medium-low-Cook and let simmer .
Make the noodles.
Put flour and salt in a large bowl, add the 3 egg yolks and the 1 whole egg. Drizzle with the cold water.
Stir with a spoon until blended then by hand until it can form a ball( you may need to drizzle a 1/4 cup more water)
- 4Cut ball in quarters. Roll each piece on a flat floured surface.
Flip and roll- keep adding flour to surface- you don't want a sticky dough.
It needs to be dry and dusted with flour. When it is thin cut small noodles( about 5 or 6 inches long and 1/4 inch wide and about 1/8 inch thick.
- 5When noodles are cut, add them to the simmering broth and chicken pieces. Turn heat to medium and drop noodles into broth mixture and cook for about 15 minutes.
Remove one cup of the broth and mix with the flour, then pour the mixture back into the pot. Add the cream of chicken soup and chopped boiled eggs and maple syrup- to the pot. Let this mixture cook 5 to 10 minutes.If mixture is not thick enough for you take out a little of the sauce and thicken with a little more flour. Cook 5 minutes more. Serve immediately or pour into a crock pot on warm setting until ready to serve.