Dr. Atkin's Low Carb Chicken Stock - Delish!
However, even though the spirit is willing, the (my) body is weak... and before too long I will give in and succumb to potatoes, pasta and rice to satisfy my carb cravings.
If my tall, skinny husband was willing to forego the carbs with me (Mr. meat and POTATOES won't) maybe I would have more will-power, but seeing those mashed potatoes and gravy on his plate does me in every time! This tasty recipe is from one of Dr. Atkin's cookbooks.
14-5-lb chicken, cleaned and washed
3 qtcold water
1 tspseasoned salt
2stalks celery, roughly chopped
2 largecarrots, roughly chopped (optional)
1 smallonion, chopped
1 Tbspfresh parsley, chopped fine
1/2 tspdried thyme
1knorr chicken bouillon cube
How to Make Dr. Atkin's Low Carb Chicken Stock - Delish!
- Place cleaned chicken (cut up or whole; I leave whole) in cold water in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, reduce to high simmer. Skim foam that forms on top of water, as the chicken cooks.
- Add remaining ingredients, cover and simmer chicken until it is tender - about 1 and 1/2 hours. *Dr. Atkins does not add carrots, but I do - still low-carb. I don't like to eat parsnips, but the "essence" does add good flavor.
- Cool. Remove chicken and strain stock well, discarding vegetables, or save to make chicken soup. Freeze chicken meat or use immediately however you want. Chill the stock in covered container in refrigerator.
- Remove and discard the layer of fat that will rise to the top when thoroughly chilled.
- Divide stock in 1 to 2 cup measures in freezer containers or jars.