Deep Fried Chicken
How to Make Deep Fried Chicken
- Put flour, salt, pepper, paprika and cayenne pepper in a plastic bag. Shake to mix the seasoning.
- Add cut-up chicken pieces, with or without bones, to bag. (Smaller pieces cook more quickly, so consider cutting each breast half in two.) Shake to coat chicken with the seasoned flour.
- Heat 3/4 inch oil in a heavy frying pan (preferably cast-iron) over medium-high heat, until it gets to 350 degrees F. Use a 2-inch-deep pan if possible to reduce spatters.
- When oil is hot, shake any excess flour off the chicken and add the pieces to the pan a few at a time. Don't allow the pieces to touch in the pan. Fry the chicken in batches if your pan won't hold them all with space to spare.
- Cook the chicken pieces for about 10 minutes per side. Regulate the heat as the chicken cooks, keeping the oil temperature below 375 degrees - use a deep-frying thermometer to the check the temperature.
- Drain chicken on paper towels.