Deep Dish Pizza Chicago-style UNO'S recipe
I get requests to make this pizza, as it doesnt get much better then this! (short of going to Chicago) :)
1 pkgactive dry yeast
1 cwarm water (110-155 degrees)
3- 3 1/2 cap flour
1/3 ccooking oil
12 ozsliced mozzarella cheese
1/2 lbmild italian sausage, cooked, and crumbled
14 ozcan whole pear or plum tomatoes, drained
1 tsporegano, dried, crushed
1 tspdried basil, crushed
1/4 cparmesan cheese
·sliced mushrooms, optional
·chopped green pepper, optional
·toppings of your choice, optional
How to Make Deep Dish Pizza Chicago-style UNO'S recipe
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
You will need a deep dish at least 2 inches deep. You can also use a heavy 10x2 inch round cake pan or a 10 inch spring form pan. Which ever pan you use, brush olive oil generously around the whole pan.
- In a large bowl, sprinkle yeast into warm water. Stir until dissolved. Stir in 1 1/2 cups of the flour, the 1/3 cup cooking oil and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
Beat at low speed 30 seconds,scraping bowl often.
Stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.
- Cover the dough and let rise in a warm place till doubled. Beat down. Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Turn dough into pan. Using oiled hands, spread dough evenly over bottom and partially up sides of pan. Cover, let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Arrange cheese slices in 1/4 inch thick layer on dough.
Gently press sausage on cheese.
Using hands, gently crush tomatoes into small pieces atop sausage.
Sprinkle with herbs and Parmesan.
- Bake in a 500 degree oven for about 25 minutes to 30 minutes or until edges of the crust are crisp and golden brown.
If desired, add mushrooms and green pepper during the last few minutes of baking.
- Let the pizza stand for 5-10 minutes before cutting. (this is the hardest part!) :)
- ANOTHER CHEAT NOTE:
If you dont have the time to make this crust, I did come up with an alternative using the bread machine.
If you want to use the bread machine:
2 3/4 Cups AP flour
1/3 Cup olive oil
1 Cup hot water (110-115 degrees)
2 teaspoons yeast
Add the ingredients to the bread machine and put it on dough setting. Then put in the prepared pan and let rise again. Then follow the rest of the above instructions.
- This is a serious recipe. It is well worth the effort as it is as close to the real thing as you can get at home. As I have said, I used a sauce in the pictures.... this is a no-no! Use the tomatoes and you will be in heaven!