Citrus Herb Brined Chicken
- whole chickens, trussed
- 1 c
- (or 6 oz by weight) kosher salt
- 3 c
- hot water
- 4 c
- ice cubes
- lemons, thickly sliced
- limes, thickly sliced
- 1/4 c
- fresh rosemary, crushed by hand
- 1/4 c
- fresh thyme, crushed by hand
- 1/4-1/2 c
- vegetable oil
- salt to taste
- black pepper, freshly ground, to taste
How to Make Citrus Herb Brined Chicken
- 1Dissolve the kosher salt in the hot water; then add the ice and cold water to chill mixture. Add the lemons, limes and fresh herbs to the brine. Make sure to put it in a container large enough to hold two chickens.
- 2Add the chickens and put the container in the refrigerator. The chickens should sit in the brine for at least 8 hours but overnight works best.
- 3After the brine step is complete, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F, remove the chickens from the brine and discard the brine. Dry the chickens with a disposable towel and lightly oil skin. season with salt and pepper.
- 4Place the chickens in a roasting pan elevated on a rack.
- 5Roast for 20 minutes per pound based on the weight of the chickens, plus 15 minutes, or until the thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the chicken but not touching the bone reads 170 degrees.