Chinese chicken salad
Irisa Raina 9
If you can’t find black sesame seeds use the regular ones.
Miso is one of the most versatile ingredients in the worlds. It comes in a wide range of types from very light and slightly sweet white varieties to long aged types which are almost black in color and have a much saltier and stronger flavor. Miso can be in an astonishing number of recipes. Naturally, being a Japanese product, it is not surprising to find miso in a lot of Asian style recipes.
- 2 or 3 medium/large pieces of skinless boneless chicken
- 2 cups apple cider or apple juice
- ¼ teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 & ½ cups finely chopped red onion “divided 1 cup and1/2 cups”
- 3 – 12 ounce can’s vernors ginger ale
- 3 or 4 stalks celery chopped into bite size pieces
- 2 medium/large carrots peeled and grated
- ½ of an 8 ounce can of water chestnuts “ drained”
- about 2 cups napa cabbage cut thin
- no stick spray
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon any bold mustard
- ½ teaspoon fresh ginger “grated”
- 3 well rounded teaspoons miso paste
- 1 – 8 ounce container plain greek yogurt
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- black sesame seeds “toasted “ about 2 tablespoons
- chow mien noodles
- ½ to ¾ cup spicy peanuts “ optional “
INGREDIENTS FOR THE DRESSING:
FOR THE GARNISH:
How to Make Chinese chicken salad
- 2The next day remove the chicken, and put it in a pot, pour the marinade over the chicken and poach the chicken in the cider/sesame oil mixture for about 30 minutes or until the chicken is done. This will depend on how big or small the pieces are you are cooking.
- 3While the chicken is poaching reduce the other 2 cans of the Vernor’s till it has reduced to 1/2 cup, let it cool.
- 4When the chicken is done cooking let the chicken cool in this mixture, in the refrigerator.
- 5Remove the chicken and discard the cooking liquid.
- 12Mix all of the salad ingredients and cover and refrigerate this for about 1 hour.
- 14TO MAKE THE DRESSING:
- 15In a small bowl mix: the reduced ginger ale, soy sauce, mustard, Miso, yogurt, mayo & fresh ginger. Taste for seasonings, salt and pepper, adjust accordingly.
- 16Toss this over the chicken salad and put it back into the refrigerator.
- 18IMPORTANT STEP:
- 19Before filling the won ton cups put the chicken salad into a colander for just a minute to remove any excess dressing because it will make the wonton cups soggy. Sometimes its more wet than other times even though I measure everything. This will still be a moist salad.
- 20Fill the wonton cups with the chicken salad.
- 21Sprinkle with the toasted sesame seeds.
- 22Toss on some of the peanuts.
- 23Add some chow mien noodles and enjoy!
- 24What is Miso? Miso is a fermented paste made from the following ingredients: mashed soybeans, rice or barley, salt, water and a mold called Aspergillus Oryzae (also known as “Koji”). As a staple in the traditional Japanese fermentation process, A. Oryzae is also an ingredient in the production of Japanese beverages including sake and shuchu, as well as common table top items including soy sauce and rice vinegar. Carrying the stigma of a mold, A. Oeyzae has been safely used in industrial production for thousands of years and actually has a pleasant aroma similar to chestnuts.