Chicken with Bacon/Mushroom Sauce
This is creamy and delicious. I was going to make mashed potatoes, but I changed my mind and made rice for the sauce over top....Mmmmmm
- 1 Tbsp
- each or butter and oil
- 4 slice
- thick applewood bacon, cut in small pieces
- 4 to 6 large
- chicken pieces, i use skinless any kind good
- 1 tsp
- seasoned salt
- 1 tsp
- 1/4 tsp
- 1/2 tsp
- powdered milk per piece of chicken (in this recipe i used 3 teaspoons)
- 1 medium
- 1 1/2 c
- cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 3 Tbsp
- corn syrup, light
- 3 c
- dry white wine
- 1 c
- heavy cream or 1/2 & 1/2
- 3 Tbsp
- flat leaf parsley , chopped
How to Make Chicken with Bacon/Mushroom Sauce
- 1Melt butter and oil in a 12 inch skillet over medium high heat. Add bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 8 minutes. Remover and put on paper towel.
Save the bacon drippings.
- 2Pat the chicken pieces dry with paper towels. Combine salt,pepper,nutmeg and powdered milk.* Season chicken pieces with this mixture. Return skillet to medium high heat until lightly smoking. Add prepared chicken pieces. Cook until golden brown on both sides, turning once, about 8 minutes total. Remove pan from heat and put chicken on a large plate.
- 3Remove all but 2 Tablespoons of grease from the pan. Add onions and mushrooms and cook on low heat until most of the liquid has evaporated and onions have started to soften, about 3 minutes, season with salt. Add the wine and corn syrup, increase heat to high, and bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the skillet with a wooden spoon.
- 4Return chicken to the skillet and cover. Lower heat to low, and simmer for 40 minutes.
Move chicken pieces to a large platter. Turn heat to medium high under the skillet and cook the sauce for about 2 minutes to thicken. Stir in the cream, bacon and parsley, stir and cook 1 minute. Pour over chicken. Serve family-style, with warm crusty bread, buttered rice with chopped parsley or noodles..Mmmm. this was so good!
The powdered milk helps the chicken brown and keep the sauce on the chicken,as does the corn syrup.