Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic
I adapted this recipe from my new york times cookbook!
4celery stalks cut into strips
2 mediumonions, coarsely chopped
40 clovegarlic,(around 3 bulbs) broken apart but left unpeeled
1 Tbspfresh tarragon, chopped
·parsley, chopped (a good palm full)
2/3 colive oil
8 smallchicken breasts, skinless but bone-in, my chicken breasts were huge so i bought 4 and cut them each in half
·freshly ground black pepper
·freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 cdry vermouth
How to Make Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Cover the bottom of a heavy 8-quart casserole with one third of the celery, onions, garlic, parsley, and tarragon.
- Place the oil in a shallow dish. Dip one third of the chicken pieces into the oil, coating all sides evenly, and place in the casserole.
- Sprinkle with one third of the salt and pepper and a few gratings of nutmeg. Repeat to make 2 more layers. Pour the vermouth over the chicken.
- Cover the casserole tightly with aluminum foil or parchment paper and fit the lid over the foil to create an airtight seal.
- Bake for 1 hour, without removing the cover. Check the chicken for doneness, return the casserole to the oven if it's not done yet.
- Serve the chicken along with the pan juices, the garlic, and thin slices of heated french bread to be spread with garlic squeezed from the root ends of the cloves.