Chicken Vesuvio - Chicago Version
- 4 1/2 lb
- whole chicken
- 1 Tbsp
- oregano, dried
- 1 tsp
- garlic powder
- 3 Tbsp
- olive oil (i'm alergic so i use canolla)
- 2 lb
- russet or your favorite potato peeled and sliced thick
- 6 large
- cloves of garlic peeled
- 1/2 tsp
- or more crushed dried red pepper
- 1/2 c
- chicken stock or broth
- 1 c
- thawed frozen peas
- fresh parsley (optional)
How to Make Chicken Vesuvio - Chicago Version
- 1Preheat oven to 450'
- 2Sprinkle chicken pieces generously with salt and pepper. Sprinkle oregano and garlic powder over chicken; set aside. Heat oil in
large ovenproof pot over high heat. Add potatoes and sauté until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer potatoes to bowl.
- 3Add chicken to same pot and sauté until golden brown on all sides, about 10 minutes. Add garlic cloves and dried crushed red pepper and sauté two minutes.
Return potatoes to pot. Remove pot from heat. Add stock. Return to medium-high heat and bring to boil.
- 4Cover pot tightly; transfer to oven and bake until chicken is cooked through, about 30 minutes. Add peas to pot; cover and bake 5 minutes longer.
Transfer chicken to platter. Arrange potatoes and peas around chicken. Pour sauce from pot over chicken. Garnish with chopped parsley, if desired, and