I got this recipe from a long time friend when I was in college. She had been married for a couple years and had gotten the recipe from her husband's aunt. She served it for dinner when I went to visit and I HAD to have the recipe. It is SO GOOD! So, my thanks to Melissa Nickel for the recipe! I still make it often, cuz it is soooooooo tasty! I have made it for several friends and for get togethers as well, and everyone always loves it and wants the recipe. I hope you give it a try too. I know you'll enjoy it if you do!
Note: I have written the recipe here as it was given to me. However, I like extra ortega chilis in mine, cuz I love the flavor, and I have even added other peppers at times to change up the flavor and add more heat. I also generally use a large onion, because I like a lot of onion. Don't be afraid to adjust it to your liking as well!
*Prep time includes time needed to boil and chop chicken.*
Note: Photos borrowed from internet.
- 3 lb
- chicken (boiled, deboned, skinned and chopped) **i prefer boneless, skinless breast. just makes it easier, and i prefer white meat.**
- 1 medium
- can ortega chilis
- 1 medium
- white onion, diced (i use yellow.)
- 2 can(s)
- cream of mushroom soup
- 16 oz. container sour cream
- 1 c
- 1 lb
- cheddar cheese, shredded (reserve some for topping.)
- 1 pkg
- tortilla chips (or fritos), crushed