HEARTY CHICKEN POT PIE (SALLYE)
It may be the tastiest and best chicken pot pie ever; you be the judge.
1 largeor 2 medium boneless skinless chicken breasts sauteed in just enough water to cover**
1 mediumwhite onion
1 or 2 mediumrusset potatoes
1 pkgfrozen mixed vegetables (12-16 oz size)
1 tspsea salt
1 tspgarlic powder
1 to 2 tspground black pepper
1 can(s)cream of chicken soup, undiluted
1 can(s)cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
1 largecan evaporated milk
1 to 2 tsppoultry seasoning
1 to 2easy pie dough EASY PIE DOUGH(SALLYE)
1/4 cgood white wine (optional)
1 cchicken broth or water
How to Make HEARTY CHICKEN POT PIE (SALLYE)
- NOTE: To make this dish, I use a 9" square x 3" deep Corningware casserole dish. It is the perfect size to make one large pie.
** You can substitute rotisserie chicken with skin and bones removed and cut into bite size pieces
***NOTE: You can substitute store bought pie crusts found in dairy case; buy two packages (4 shells). This recipe is generous enough to make two pies if you are using prepackaged pie shells.
- Prepare pie dough according to directions (recipe link below) or use thawed store bought crusts found in dairy case.
Place one crust into 9" x 9" baking dish and gently press crust on the bottom and up the sides of dish and set aside
Set other crust aside for placing on top of pie
- Saute chicken for about 5 minutes on each side in 1/2 cup water or broth and 1/4 cup wine. Remove chicken from water to cutting board, and cut into bite size pieces. Set aside.
NOTE: TO SPEED UP THE PROCESS, YOU CAN DICE PARTIALLY FROZEN CHICKEN BEFORE COOKING
- Preheat oven to 375º
- Clean and cut celery ribs into 1-2" lengths
Peel and quarter onion
Place celery and onion in food processor and pulse until diced.
Cut potatoes into bite size cubes and place in microwave safe bowl. Add onions and celery to potatoes.
Put 2 tablespoons water in bowl, cover with paper towel or paper plate and microwave for 5 minutes
- Place both soups, broth or water, milk, poultry seasoning. in heavy saucepan and cook over medium heat until a smooth texture. Stir with wooden spoon while cooking to avoid sticking.
Add potato, onion & celery mixture, salt, pepper, garlic powder and mixed vegetables to soup; stir together until well mixed.
- Add diced chicken to the soup mixture and stir with wooden spoon until well blended.
- Pour soup mixture over pie crust and level out.
Gently place the other crust over the mixture, stretching it to completely cover the mixture.
Pinch to other pie crust and crimp the edges around the dish top.
Cut 4 slits into crust to allow steam to escape.
- Place in preheated oven and bake for 35-45 minutes until mixture is bubbly and crust is a golden brown.
Remove from oven and let set for 5-10 minutes until mixture is thickened.