Chicken Paprika with Chewy Dumplings
It has a lot of ingredients, but it isn't difficult at all to make. The prep work is the most difficult thing about this recipe.
I like to double the veggies, sauce and dumplings. These are not the traditional fluffy dumplings, they are the chewy version. They triple in size when they cook in the water. We love them!
- 2 Tbsp
- oil (of your choice)
- 21/2-3lb. chicken, cut up (we like dark meat, so i use thighs)
- 2 medium
- onions, chopped
- 1 clove
- garlic, minced
- tomato, chopped
- 1/2 c
- 1/2 tsp
- instant chicken bouillon
- 2 Tbsp
- paprika ( i use the hungarian and smoked for a deeper flavor)
- 1 tsp
- 1/4 tsp
- green pepper, cut into 1/2 inch strips
- batch of dumplings
- 1 c
- sour cream
- 8 c
- 1 tsp
- eggs, well beaten
- 2 c
- all purpose flour
- 2 tsp
FOR THE DUMPLINGS:
How to Make Chicken Paprika with Chewy Dumplings
- 1Heat Oil in skillet until hot. (I use an electric skillet) Cook chicken in oil over med. heat until browned on all sides, about 15 min. Remove Chicken.
- 2Cook and stir onions and garlic in oil until tender; drain fat from skillet.
- 3Stir in next 6 ingredients while loosing the brown particles from the bottom of the skillet.
- 4Add chicken back to the skillet and heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 20 minutes. Add green pepper. Cover and cook 10-15 minutes more or until chicken is done. (I cook until it is nearly falling off the bone, but not quite) Prepare Dumplings.
- 5Heat 8 c. water and 1 t. salt to boiling in dutch over. Mix the next 4 dumpling ingredients together in a bowl. Drop dough by teaspoonfuls into boiling water. (Tip: dip the spoon in the boiling water to make the future dumplings easier to release from the spoon) Cook uncovered 10 minutes.
- 6Remove chicken to heated platter; keep warm. (I skip this step) Skim fat from skillet. Stir sour cream into liquid in skillet.
- 7Add dumplings. Heat just until hot. Serve chicken with dumplings and sour cream sauce. Garnish with parsley. ( I don't remove the chicken to a platter at anytime, I just add the dumplings right in with the chicken.) I hope you enjoy this as much as we do!