Chicken, Mushroom, and Wild Rice Soup
I will serve this with homemade garlic bread, and spinach salad.
1/2 conion, finely chopped
1 cmushrooms, chopped
2 smallcans chicken with broth
3 cchicken broth (or more if needed)
1 tspfresh rosemary
1 tspfresh thyme
1/2 tsprubbed sage
1/4 tspwhite pepper (use black if that's all you have)
1/2 cuncooked wild rice (or long grain and wild rice mix)
How to Make Chicken, Mushroom, and Wild Rice Soup
- Have all your ingredients ready - you know, like they say on TV, "mis en place."
- In a large soup kettle, melt butter. Saute onions and mushrooms just until tender; do not overcook. Stir in chicken, broth, rosemary, thyme and sage.
- Simmer 15 minutes, then add HALF the salt, pepper, and rice. Turn to low, cover, and cook about 25 more minutes, until rice is tender. Check occasionally to be sure there is still enough broth.
- When rice is done, add extra broth if necessary to make this the consistency of soup you like. Adjust salt and pepper if needed.
- If you use brown rice, it will need to cook about 50 minutes instead of 25. If you use Minute Rice, only 15 minutes is needed for the second period of simmering.