Chicken & Cornbread Dressing
Gaylynn Y Cooper
11 whole small chicken (fryer or broiler) cut up, or your choice of chicken pieces, or chicken backs and/or other pieces that you have frozen for later use for broth.
2 qtquarts of water
2large skillets of baked cornbread, or frozen left-over cornbread you have saved for stuffing/dressing.
2 ccelery chopped fine or blended in a little broth in blender
1 conion chopped fine or blended in a little broth in blender
1/2 cgreen or red bell pepper in a little broth in blender
2 tsppoultry seasoning or ground sage (opt)
1 tspblack pepper
1 dash(es)red pepper (opt)
1 tspcelery seed (opt)
6-8 cstrained hot broth or 4 cans or 2 32 oz. cartons of broth
Desired dash(es)paprika, curry, black pepper to sprinkle on top of the dressing just before baking. (opt)
How to Make Chicken & Cornbread Dressing
- Cut chicken up in serving pieces, or have your butcher do this for you.
Boil chicken in 2 quarts of water.. Save broth, set aside chicken. OR Boil saved (frozen) chicken backs or pieces, and debone.
- In a VERY large mixing bowl crumble two large skillets of cornbread. Start adding the other ingredients to the CRUMBLED cornbread. You can use a potato masher to help crumble it more easily.
- Use enough broth to get the mixture really moist, as it will dry out a bit during baking.
- After adding all ingredients, stir well, pour into a greased or buttered large (11×15) or a big oblong baking dish or if you prefer as I do, divide between 2 big cast iron skillets.
- Place the chicken pieces (bone in) on top of dressing (take fat off) PRESS into the dressing OR use deboned chicken. You can also debone the chicken and mix in with the other ingredients. I prefer the golden brown chicken on top of the dressing.
- Sprinkle lightly with suggested seasonings such as paprika, curry, black pepper. (opt)
- Bake at 450° for approx. 30-45 minutes, or until golden brown around edges, and on top. Remember you have raw eggs in this mixture and you want them to be done.
- Serve with cranberry sauce.
- NOTE: This is a very forgiveable dish, if you should see that it is too dry while baking, you can put it back in the bowl and add more broth. If it is too moist, just simply bake longer. If you should run out of broth, add a chicken flavored boullion cube (or 2 if you prefer it richer) to every couple cups of hot water to make your own broth.