Brighton Beach Hotel - Chicken a 'la King
1890s - Chef George Greenwald of the Brighton Beach Hotel, Brighton Beach, New York, created it in the 1890s.
He was an excellent chef and liked to prepare new dishes for his favorite customers.
One summer afternoon, he prepared a special chicken dish for Mr. and Mrs. E. Clarke King and served it for supper. The Kings thought it was wonderful and urged Chef Greenwald to put it on the menu, which he did, naming it Chicken a 'la King after Mr. King.
- 4 cups cooked and cubed chicken*
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 5 to 6 green onions, minced and divided
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cored, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, stems trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup and 1 tablespoon dry sherry, divided
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth**
- 4 tablespoons of chopped fresh parsley, divided
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 (4-ounce) jar sliced pimentos
- 2 cups frozen peas
- salt and coarsely-ground black pepper to taste
- 4 chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup dry sherry
- 2 cups chicken broth
POACHED CHICKEN: IF YOU DO NOT HAVE LEFT OVER COOKED CHICKEN, THEN FOLLOW THE INGREDIENTS AND PREPARATION BELOW FOR MAKING POACHED CHICKEN:
How to Make Brighton Beach Hotel - Chicken a 'la King
- 1Poaching Instructions:
In a large pot over medium heat, add chicken breasts, sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Cover chicken with sherry and chicken broth.
Add water if needed to make sure chicken is fully covered in liquid.
Bring just to a boil, cover the pot, reduce the heat to low, and let simmer for approximately 15 to 20 minutes or until a meat thermometer registers an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. (juices will run clear when cut with the tip of a knife).
Remove from oven.
- 2Once the chicken is cooked, remove the chicken pieces from the cooking stock with slotted utensil, and transfer to a cutting board; cut chicken into cubes.
Set aside and use as soon as sauce is ready.
- 3A La King Sauce:
While chicken is poaching, in a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter (do not let the butter brown).
Add 4 tablespoons minced green onions, green peppers, and mushrooms; sauté approximately 4 to 5 minutes (mushrooms should look golden brown).
- 4Slowly add the flour and stir until it’s fully combined and bubbly in the pan, approximately 2 minutes.
Slowly whisk in 1/4 cup sherry and chicken broth until fully blended.
Bring mixture just to a boil and then lower the heat to medium low.
Add the 2 tablespoons parsley, thyme, cayenne, nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
Let the mixture simmer for approximately 20 to 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
- 5When ready to serve, whisk in the heavy cream until combined.
Add the cooked chicken cubes, 1 tablespoon sherry, pimentos, frozen peas, remaining parsley, and the remaining green onions.
Stir together and bring back to a simmer.
Salt and pepper to taste.
- 6The sauce is ready when the peas are cooked through and tender.
Serve over egg noodles, white rice, biscuits or buttered toast and enjoy.