BLONDIE'S CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP
2 Tbspcanola oil
1 smallsweet yellow onion, finely chopped
2 or 3 clovegarlic, finely minced
1 can(s)rotel tomatoes ands green chiles (select your heat) i use hot
3chicken breast halves, boneless, skinless or you may prefer bone-in with skin
1 galstock or broth *or* 1/2 gallon water
1 bunchcilantro, divided
8 ozsharp cheddar or monterrey jack cheese, grated
2 mediumripe avocados, cubed 1/2
114 oz bag of tortilla chips (i use calidad~not too salty)
How to Make BLONDIE'S CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP
- In large hot stockpot (5-6 qt), pour in canola oil or evoo. When shimmery, add onions and saute' for 2 min over med-hi heat.; now add garlic and saute' for 1 min on med-hi heat. **Do not brown garlic**
- Now add 2 gallons chicken stock or 1 gallons broth (stock is best.) add rotel, salt, then chicken. When pot comes to a boil, lower heat and allow to simmer with lid on for about 15 min. If cooking bone-in chicken simmer about 30 minutes
- Remove chicken from liquid and set aside to cool enough to be able to shred it. Continue to simmer broth for about 15 minutes, so it can reduce. **if using broth**
- In the meantime, shred chicken. Turn burner off if using stock.
When the broth has cooked for about 15 minutes, throw in 1/2 the bunch if cilantro. Turn off heat. Allow to stand about 5 min.
- Pour stock into serving bowls, add about 1/3 cup shredded chicken,and some raw chopped cilantro. Top with grated cheese. Add avocado pieces. Crumble tortilla chips and add to bowl.