BIRDS IN THE NEST (SALLYE)
You can substitute the Cornish game hens that you bagged at the supermarket for the doves.
1 cuncooked rice
4doves or cornish game hens
1 Tbsplemon juice
1 tspcoarse sea salt
1 tspground black pepper
1/2 tsprosemary, crushed
1/2 tspthyme. crushed
8-12 smallpearl onions
8 ozmushrooms of your choice
1 cchicken broth
1 cmadeira wine***
How to Make BIRDS IN THE NEST (SALLYE)
- Preheat oven to 350º.
Lightly oil or spray a 9" x 13" baking dish that has an ovenproof cover and set aside.
- Make a paste with the lemon juice, salt, pepper, rosemary and thyme.
Rub the birds inside and out with this paste. Press down firmly so paste will adhere to the birds.
- Heat small heavy skillet over medium high heat.
Melt the butter in the skillet, then add rice. Saute the rice until brown, stirring to prevent burning.
- Transfer the rice to the oiled casserole and spread out evenly over the bottom of the dish.
- Place the birds on top of the rice, and surround them with the onions and mushrooms.
- Combine chicken broth and madeira and whisk until blended.
Pour over the birds and rice.
Cover and bake at 350º for 30-40 minutes.
***1. You can substitute a hearty red wine for the madeira, or for non-alcoholic dish just use 2 cups of chicken broth with a splash of balsamic vinegar.
2. You can cover dish with heavy duty foil if you don't have a covered casserole dish. Make sure you crimp it tightly around the casserole dish.