Better than Deli Chicken Salad w/ Fruit and Nuts!
I finally decided it was time to master this recipe on my own. After many attempts (and a few near-failures!) I think I have created this recipe about as delicious and as close to the real deli-counter deliciousness as possible!
3/4 cmayonnaise, light (i use hellman's!)
3/4 cwhipped dressing (i use miracle whip!)
1/2 ccranberries, dried (i use craisins!)
1/2 cgolden raisins
1 Tbspdijon mustard
1/4 cchopped walnuts
1/4 calmond slivers
2 lbcooked, shredded chicken breast
How to Make Better than Deli Chicken Salad w/ Fruit and Nuts!
- Cook chicken breast in a shallow pan filled with water. (You can also add some diced onion into the water at this point if you enjoy the onion flavoring in your chicken salad... I do this and it's wonderful, and yet still passes as not having onions to those that just don't like onion crunchiness in their chicken salad!)
After chicken is fully cooked (approximately 20 minutes, turning to ensure all sides are cooked evenly) use a fork to shred your chicken breast into long strips. Place in the fridge to cool.
- In a small bowl, add your 1/2 cup of golden raisins. Pour water into the bowl to cover all of the raisins. Let them sit while you prepare the rest of the recipe. (This makes your raisins plump and juicy... this is a must-do step for the perfect soft, moist fruit!)
- In a large bowl, mix together 3/4 cup of real mayo, 3/4 cup of whipped dressing, 1 TB of dijon mustard, and 2 tb of honey. Beat well.
- Strain the water off of your raisins and dry them on paper towels.
- Add raisins, cranberries, walnuts, and almonds to your mayo mixture.
- Add shredded chicken breast to your mayo mixture.
- Serve chilled; on bread, croissants, or crackers!