Beefy Vegetable Soup - Dee Dee's
Diane Hopson Smith
I love this soup in cool fall weather or a on a rainy day. It reminds me of my mother and the way she made her soup.
My soup has fresh canned tomatoes, canned peas and fresh okra right out of my summer garden. This doesn't mean you can't make this soup if you don't can or have fresh veggies! I've made this soup many times using canned vegetables or frozen.
I start with a base of meat and water and then I build this soup to my taste. You can do the same. I even use leftover pot roast as a base.
- 2 lb
- beef sirloin steak, boneless (or leftover beef roast, stew meat or ground beef)
- 2 c
- 1 medium
- onion, chopped
- beef bouillon, cubes
- 1 tsp
- basil, dried
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 qt
- tomatoes, canned (or 6 to 8 fresh peeled and diced)
- 1 pt
- 1 can(s)
- (15. 25 ounce) whole kernel corn (or fresh or frozen)
- 1 can(s)
- (15.25 ounce) medium green lima beans (or fresh or frozen)
- 1 pt
- fresh okra, sliced
- 4 to 5
- potatoes, medium, diced
How to Make Beefy Vegetable Soup - Dee Dee's
- 3Now, take the steak out of the soup, place on a cutting board and cut in to bite size pieces, return pieces to soup. Stir the meat into soup and you are ready to eat! That is IF you have the cornbread ready!
- 4Notes: There are a lot of variations for this soup; Chicken and chicken bouillon instead of beef,or browned ground beef, instead of field peas use english peas, you can add carrots and celery, instead of home canned vegetables use canned or frozen from the grocery store. My mother would put macaroni in this soup if we didn't have potatoes on hand. Or if you prefer rice, add rice instead of potatoes or macaroni. If you have leftover vegetables in the refrigerator toss em in. This makes a large pot of soup, what I have left I put in freezer containers and freeze for later use.