Basic Veggie Soup w/ Add-ins
I originally obtained this from Flylady. I have to admit, I leave out the cabbage. I hate soggy cabbage. But I think some day I will try it with the cabbage; I might be surprised!
- 2 can(s)
- diced tomatoes, undrained
- 6 c
- chicken broth
- 2 c
- fresh green beans, cut into 1" pieces
- stalks celery, sliced
- carrots, sliced
- 1 large
- onion, chopped
- 4 clove
- garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp
- olive oil, divided
- 1/2 tsp
- medium turnip, chopped
- head cabbage, chopped
- 2 small
- potatoes, peeled & chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
- various beans, pastas, chicken or turkey
TO MAKE YOUR SOUP A MEAL - ADD-INS
How to Make Basic Veggie Soup w/ Add-ins
- 1In a large soup pot, heat 1 T. olive oil over medium heat. Add onion & cook until translucent. Now add garlic. Don't brown the garlic, but saute another few minutes. Add carrots, celery, green beans, turnip & cabbage. Saute a minute or two. This step will add a lot of flavor to your soup! Use the extra T. olive oil if needed in this step. Add thyme, salt & pepper while sauteing.
- 2Choose your cooking method. If using a crockpot, transfer all veggies to crockpot & add tomatoes, potatoes & broth. If cooking on stove top, leave veggies in soup pot & add tomatoes, potatoes & broth. Simmer on low heat for a couple of hours, stirring occasionally. If cooking in crockpot, cook at low heat for 6 hours.
- 3Before serving, mash some of the potato chunks against the side of the pot to thicken the soup. Stir & serve.
- 4Make your soup a full meal! Now for the fun part!
Store your soup in the fridge. Take out just enough soup for the meal you are currently serving. (Leave the rest of the soup in the fridge to try another add in on another day!)
Choose which version of add-ins you want & reheat the soup.
Tex Mex: chicken, corn, black beans, cumin & chopped cilantro. Serve with chips & cheese
Tuscan: white beans, Italian seasoning, chopped spinach or kale, chicken or turkey, Romano or Parmesan cheese
Minestrone: chicken, cooked pasta, dried basil & fresh grated Parmesan
turkey or chicken & cheese tortellini
turkey or chicken & rice