Augie's Chicken Italiano
My husband liked this so much, he started requesting it a least once a week. I kept adding to the recipe until I finally got what I was looking for.
Hope you enjoy it as much as my family and friends do.
- 1 large
- cut up chicken
- 2 can(s)
- italian stewed tomatoes
- 1 can(s)
- tomatoe sauce
- 1 1/2 c
- halved, thick sliced sweet onions
- 1 1/2 c
- chicken broth, low salt
- 4 clove
- sliced garlic cloves
- 1 tsp
- dried mustard
- bayleaves to be removed after cooking
- 1 c
- sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 16 oz bag asparagus stir fry
- 2 c
- quick cooked rice
- 1/3 c
- olive oil, extra virgin, (more if needed)
How to Make Augie's Chicken Italiano
- 1Wash and dry cut up chicken. Add 1/3 cup olive oil to large dutch oven or large frying pan. Over medium heat, lightly brown chicken pieces being careful not to over brown or burn. Lower heat and add Italian Stewed Tomatoes, Tomato Sauce,celery, onions and chicken broth. Lightly season with salt and pepper, add sliced garlic, dried mustard, and bay leaves. Simmer for about 1 hour.
If broth cooks down, add either more chicken broth or water keeping in mind that it will obsorb into the rice at the end of the cooking time.
- 2As chicken becomes tender, add sliced mushrooms to allow them to start cooking. After another 30 minutes, add 1 16 oz bag of Asparagus Stir Fry Veggies. Continue to simmer on low for 15 minutes, add 2 cups of quick cooking rice and continue cooking until rice is to your liking. Serve and enjoy!
- 3I use a large electric frying pan to make this dish and when I add the rice, I move all the veggies to one end, leave the chicken in the middle and put the rice at the hotter end of the pan. I raise the veggie end of the pan 1/2 inch from counter surface so the broth all ends up with the rice. I then serve it in the pan.
- 4All stoves and pans are different, so my times might not be exact for you. After you make this dish a time or two, it will become automatic to judge when to put in the different ingredients.
We don't usually have any other vegetables or salads with this meal. Add some good bread and your meal is complete.