A New York Must try... Chicken & Waffles
If you’ve ever tried the unlikely pairing of chicken and waffles, you understand the appeal. It’s a delectable union of sweet and salty, soft and crunchy, maple and chicken. On their own, they’re delicious treats. When served together, with butter, hot sauce and maple syrup… wow! Seriously awesome eating.
Perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner... Hope you enjoy this tasty treat. It is well worth the extra effort.
- 2 cups self rising flour
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup red hot sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- garlic powder
- 2 1/2 lbs chicken pieces, bone in, skin on
- 5 pints peanut oil for deep frying
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 3/4 cups warm lowfat milk (use dairy-free milk to make kosher)
- 1/4 cup melted butter (use margarine to make kosher)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- maple syrup
- butter, melted
- hot sauce, optional
How to Make A New York Must try... Chicken & Waffles
- 1Fried Chicken:
In a medium bowl, beat the eggs, water, and hot sauce together. Reserve.
- 2In another medium bowl, combine the self rising flour and 1 tsp black pepper.
- 3Sprinkle the chicken pieces generously with salt, then lightly with garlic powder.
- 4Dip the seasoned chicken pieces into the egg mixture, then coat in the seasoned flour.
- 5Pour oil into a deep pot up to half full with oil, then heat over medium till hot enough for frying (350 degrees F as measured on a candy thermometer).
- 6Submerge the chicken pieces carefully into the hot oil. Let the chicken fry till crispy and cooked through. Dark meat will take 13-14 minutes, white meat 8-10 minutes.
- 7Place fried chicken on paper towels to drain off excess oil. Serve.
Preheat your waffle iron. In a large mixing bowl, sift together flour, salt, sugar and baking powder.
- 9In a medium mixing bowl, beat the eggs, then beat in the lukewarm milk, butter and vanilla till well combined.
- 10Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir will a batter forms. A few small lumps are okay.
- 11Pour the batter onto your waffle iron in batches. Amount per waffle will vary according to the size of your waffle iron. Let the waffles cook till golden brown and crisp.
- 12Serve hot waffles with warm fried chicken, warmed maple syrup, and butter on the side.
Optional Kosher Modifications: Substitute almond or soy milk for buttermilk, use a non-hydrogentated butter substitute (like Earth Balance) to replace the butter.
- 13Place fried chicken over waffle and drizzle with melted butter and maple syrup... (hot sauce is optional, but very yummy) and enjoy.