Vegan (mostly) Shepard's Pie
1 smallchopped onion
3 smallchopped carrots
1/2 ctightly packed and choppedspinach
1 stalk(s)chopped celery
1 can(s)lentils, mash
1/2 tspdried basil
1 tspbragg's apple cider vinegar or soy sauce
1 largetomato or a can of petite diced tomatoes
3 mediumpeeled roughly chopped potatoes
1/4 cfat free milk
·salt to taste
How to Make Vegan (mostly) Shepard's Pie
- Pre-heat oven to 350*. Spray a 1.5 Qt baking dish with baking spray
- Boil or steam potatoes until soft.
- Saute carrots, onions, celery and tomatoes in EVOO or broth.....I just used the liquid in a can of petite diced tomatoes.
- Once the carrots are tender;
ADD: mashed lentils (I couldn't find these, so used a can of navy beans, rinsed & drained) basil, salt and Bragg's or Soy Sauce.
Simmer until most of the liquid has cooked off.....you don't want this soupy.
- Spoon this into prepared baking dish.
- In a large bowl, mash together the potatoes, milk & oleo. Salt to taste. Spoon this over the top of the veggies.
- Bake at 350* for approx 30 min.
- I also added a cup of sliced mushrooms and approximately a cup of leftover rice.
I also made a packet of fat free mushroom gravy for my husband to put over it, at the table.....he did;but I don't think it really needed it. You could also sprinkle some cheese on top of the potatoes for color or a dusting of paprika.
The next time I make this I will freeze the filling into individual servings and top with potatoes later....it makes a large batch and the hubs didn't really care for it.