Vegan (mostly) Shepard's Pie
- 1 small
- chopped onion
- 3 small
- chopped carrots
- 1/2 c
- tightly packed and choppedspinach
- 1 stalk(s)
- chopped celery
- 2 Tbsp
- 1 can(s)
- lentils, mash
- 1/2 tsp
- dried basil
- 1/2 tsp
- 1 tsp
- bragg's apple cider vinegar or soy sauce
- 1 large
- tomato or a can of petite diced tomatoes
- 3 medium
- peeled roughly chopped potatoes
- 1/4 c
- fat free milk
- 1 Tbsp
- salt to taste
How to Make Vegan (mostly) Shepard's Pie
- 1Pre-heat oven to 350*. Spray a 1.5 Qt baking dish with baking spray
- 2Boil or steam potatoes until soft.
- 3Saute carrots, onions, celery and tomatoes in EVOO or broth.....I just used the liquid in a can of petite diced tomatoes.
- 4Once the carrots are tender;
ADD: mashed lentils (I couldn't find these, so used a can of navy beans, rinsed & drained) basil, salt and Bragg's or Soy Sauce.
Simmer until most of the liquid has cooked off.....you don't want this soupy.
- 5Spoon this into prepared baking dish.
- 6In a large bowl, mash together the potatoes, milk & oleo. Salt to taste. Spoon this over the top of the veggies.
- 7Bake at 350* for approx 30 min.
- 8I also added a cup of sliced mushrooms and approximately a cup of leftover rice.
I also made a packet of fat free mushroom gravy for my husband to put over it, at the table.....he did;but I don't think it really needed it. You could also sprinkle some cheese on top of the potatoes for color or a dusting of paprika.
The next time I make this I will freeze the filling into individual servings and top with potatoes later....it makes a large batch and the hubs didn't really care for it.