2 lbground chuck
1 largeonion, diced
1 largegreen pepper, diced
1 can(s)tomato soup, undiluted
1 can(s)cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
1 12-ounce can(s)evaporated milk
1 can(s)rotel tomatoes with green chilies
·picante sauce to taste
·chili powder to taste
14-ounce pkgtortilla chips
How to Make Taco Casserole
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a Dutch oven on top of stove over medium heat (this makes a lot of filling) brown hamburger, onion and green pepper.
- Drain any grease from hamburger mixture.
- Add rest of ingredients (except chips).
- Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Crumble a 14-oz. package of tortilla chips (leave them in the unopened package that you have put a few small slits in and crush them with a rolling pin).
- Place crushed chips in the bottom of a 9x13-inch greased casserole.
- Pour hamburger mixture over crushed chips and top with an 8 ounce package of shredded colby-jack cheese.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Cool for about 10-15 minutes and then cut into squares and serve.
- Serve topped with shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, extra shredded cheese, diced green onions, sour cream, guacamole, picante sauce or salsa, etc. for topping.
- Set extra taco sauce and tortilla chips on table so that people can have them if they want them.