Ham and Cheese Pot Pie
1pie crust homemade or other
2 cdiced ham
1/4 call purpose flour
1/2 stickbutter + 2 tbsp. butter, divided
1 cshredded cheddar cheese
·salt & pepper to taste
1/2 cfrozen peas
2 mediumcarrots, peeled and diced
1 smallonion, finely diced
2 largepotatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
How to Make Ham and Cheese Pot Pie
- arrange half of pie pastry into deep dish pie plate. Bake in oven at 400 degrees for 10 minutes or until pie crust is just barely golden.
- Par-boil potatoes and carrots until just barely tender, drain.
- Melt 1 Tbsp. butter in skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and ham. Saute until ham is browned and onions are soft. Remove ham and onions to a plate, set aside.
- Add 1/2 stick to pan and melt butter. Stir in 1/2 cup flour, stirring constantly for a minute or two until starting to brown. Pour in 2 cups milk and shredded cheese.
- Turn heat to medium. Stir liquid until thickened and smooth and cheese has completely incorporated into liquid. (About 10 minutes) Salt & pepper to taste.
- Add carrots, potatoes, ham, onion, and frozen peas to liquid and mix until well combined.
- Pour mixture into bottom pie pastry. Cover with top pastry and seal edges.
- Brush top of pie crust with butter. Bake at 400 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until golden golden and flaky on top.