Cabbage Roll Party in a Slow Cooker
1-1/2 lbground turkey
1/2 lbmild bulk sausage
1head cabbage (about 3-1/2 #), cut into 1-1/2" chunks
3/4 cwhite or apple cider vinegar or combination
3 Tbspworchester sauce
1 can(s)6oz tomato paste
1 can(s)15oz tomato sauce
2 can(s)14oz stewed tomatoes
1-1/2 cchicken or beef broth
·wine or sherry to deglaze pan
How to Make Cabbage Roll Party in a Slow Cooker
- In a dutch oven, brown meat in batches so as to not steam the meat (3 batches). Make sure to include soe sausage in each batch for fat.
Add 1 T to each batch of browning meat toward the vry end of browning. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set meat aside.
- Microwave cabbage 10 minutes to soften. Add to crock pot.
- Microwave onions 1 minute to soften.
- Add onions and tomato paste to pan used to cook meat. ]
Cook onions and tomato paste a few minutes on medium heat to get canned taste our of paste.
Add wine or broth to deglaze pan.
- Add liquid from all the cans, vinegars, and sugar.
Bring to boil and simmer about 8 minutes.
- Add liquid contents from Dutch oven to crock pot.
Add chicken broth and meat.
Stir to combine.
- Cook 4-5 hours on high or 8-10 hours on low.
During cooking, adjust flavors to taste with extra sugar or extra vinegar or both.