Cabbage Roll Party in a Slow Cooker
- 1-1/2 lb
- ground turkey
- 1/2 lb
- mild bulk sausage
- head cabbage (about 3-1/2 #), cut into 1-1/2" chunks
- 1 large
- 3/4 c
- white or apple cider vinegar or combination
- 3 Tbsp
- worchester sauce
- 1 can(s)
- 6oz tomato paste
- 1 can(s)
- 15oz tomato sauce
- 2 can(s)
- 14oz stewed tomatoes
- 1-1/2 c
- chicken or beef broth
- wine or sherry to deglaze pan
How to Make Cabbage Roll Party in a Slow Cooker
- 1In a dutch oven, brown meat in batches so as to not steam the meat (3 batches). Make sure to include soe sausage in each batch for fat.
Add 1 T to each batch of browning meat toward the vry end of browning. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set meat aside.
- 2Microwave cabbage 10 minutes to soften. Add to crock pot.
- 3Microwave onions 1 minute to soften.
- 4Add onions and tomato paste to pan used to cook meat. ]
Cook onions and tomato paste a few minutes on medium heat to get canned taste our of paste.
Add wine or broth to deglaze pan.
- 5Add liquid from all the cans, vinegars, and sugar.
Bring to boil and simmer about 8 minutes.
- 6Add liquid contents from Dutch oven to crock pot.
Add chicken broth and meat.
Stir to combine.
- 7Cook 4-5 hours on high or 8-10 hours on low.
During cooking, adjust flavors to taste with extra sugar or extra vinegar or both.