- 8 large
- 1 lb
- ground beef or turkey
- green pepper: half minced & half cut into chunks
- onion: half minced & half cut into chunks
- 3 c
- shredded cheese of choice
- 4-5 tsp
- chicken boullion powder
- salt, pepper, seasoning salt & garlic powder to taste
How to Make Stuffed Tomatoes
- 1Wash the tomatoes. Cut off a 3" or so piece from the rounded side of the tomato which would be the opposite side of where the stem used to be. Don't discard them & keep the cut piece along side of the tomato it was cut from to be used as a cap to hold in the filling. (If you would like you can go through the process of removing the skin from tomatoes.)
- 2With a spoon scoop out the insides of tomatoes placing it all in a blender.
- 3Set the tomato shells & caps aside.
- 4Brown the ground beef or turkey, breaking it up and adding the minced green pepper, onion, pepper, seasoning salt & garlic powder to taste.
- 5Place the meat mixture in a bowl and allow to to cool.
- 6To the meat mixture add the 3 cups of cheese & combine.
- 7Use this mixture to stuff the tomatoes. Place the caps on the tomatoes pressing it into the tomato so it will stay in place.
- 8Set the stuffed tomatoes in a large pot trying to keep them all in one layer on the bottom of the pot.
- 9To the blender, along with the tomato pulp, add the pieces of onion, green pepper, chicken boullion, salt, pepper & garlic powder to taste. Blend it well. If it is too thick you can add 1/2-1 cup of water.
- 10Pour this mixture over the tomatoes in the pot.
- 11Bring to a boil, then simmer, covered until the tomatoes are tender.
- 12Serve tomato with some of the juice over rice.