Stuffed Green Peppers/Kidney Friendly
1 vegetable, medium potassium
Protein 16 g
Carbohydrates 20 g
Fat 12 g
Cholesterol 49 mg
Sodium 152 mg
Potassium 313 mg
Phosphorus 132 mg
Calcium 29 mg
Fiber 2.0 g
·6 green peppers
·2 pounds ground beef or turkey
·4 tsp unsalted margarine, divided
·1/2 cup chopped onion
·6 tablspoons mild thick and chunky style salsa
·2 tsp mrs dash onion herb seasoning
·1 tsp garlic powder
·1 tsp onion powder
·3 cups cooked rice
·1 c water
·1 c soft white bread crumbs
·1 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
·1 1/2 tsp paprika
·1/2 tsp pepper
DIALYSIS PATIENT SERVING IS ONE HALF OF A PEPPER. SO THIS WOULD TECHNICALLY SERVE 12. MAY CUT THIS IN HALF TO SERVE 6. I DOUBLED IT IN ORDER TO FEED MY WHOLE FAMILY AND HAVE SOME TO FREEZE FOR MOM TO MAKE FOR DAD ON DAYS I AM NOT HOME TO COOK
How to Make Stuffed Green Peppers/Kidney Friendly
- Cut tops off peppers and clean out insides. (or slice peppers in half lengthwise and clean out insides) Parboil 4 minutes.
- In a large frying pan cook ground beef until fully cooked. Drain meat of all drippings in a coliander and keep meat in coliander till ready to use.
- Sauté onion in 1 teaspoon margarine until the onion is cooked and translucent.
- Add salsa, Mrs. Dash® herb seasoning,garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, cooked rice and meat. Stir to combine.
- Stuff green pepper with the meat and rice mixture, and put peppers in a shallow baking pan. Add a 1/2 cup water to the pan around the peppers.
- Combine bread crumbs, poultry seasoning and melted margarine.
- Sprinkle over stuffed peppers.
- Cover baking pan and bake at 350 for 40 to 60 minutes or until cooked thru. (timing depends on whether you cut tops off peppers or sliced peppers in half lengthwise)
- Once completely cooked remove lid and allow to cook about 5 minutes longer to brown up the tops.