STUFFED CABBAGE CASSEROLE
Recipe & photo: skinnytaste.com
2 tspolive oil, divided
1 lblean ground beef
1 largeonion, chopped
1 Tbspminced garlic
1/2 tspdried thyme
1 tspsweet hungarian paprika
·salt and black pepper to taste
1 largehead green cabbage, cored and cut into small wedges
1 can(s)(14.5 oz.) petite diced tomatoes with juice
1 can(s)(15 oz.) tomato sauce
2 ccooked brown rice
2 clow-fat mozzarella cheese
How to Make STUFFED CABBAGE CASSEROLE
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook ground beef until browned and cooked through. Remove and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add 1 tsp. olive oil, chopped onion, and cook over medium heat until the onion is translucent and starting to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the minced garlic, dried thyme, and paprika and cook about 2 minutes more. Add the diced tomatoes with juice, tomato sauce, and ground beef. Add water to the pan. Simmer until it is hot and slightly thickened, about 15-20 minutes.
- While it simmers, cut the cabbage in half, remove the core and any wilted outer leaves. Cut into small wedges. (Or chop coarsely into 1-inch pieces, if you prefer.)
- Heat remaining olive oil in a large skillet or dutch oven, add the cabbage and cook over medium-high heat until the cabbage is about half-cooked, turning it over several times so it all cooks. Season with salt and pepper.
- When the meat and tomato sauce mixture has cooked and thickened a bit, stir in the 2 cups of cooked rice and gently combine.
- Spray a 13x9" casserole dish with non-stick spray and layer half the cabbage, half the meat mixture, remaining cabbage, and remaining meat mixture. Cover tightly with foil and bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 40 minutes, or until the mixture is just starting to bubble on the edges.
- Remove foil and sprinkle on cheese. Bake uncovered an additional 15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and starting to slightly brown. Serve hot.