STOVETOP MEAT LOAVES
3tablespoons 2% milk
2tablespoons quick cooking oats
1tablespoon chopped onion
1/2pound lean ground beef
3tablespoons of water
1/2cup of italian tomato sauce
1teaspoon of cornstarch
1/4cup cold water
·( if you do not have italian tomato sauce, put a little basil and oregano in a can of regular tomato sauce)
·sometimes, we enjoy adding a can of drained mushrooms to the tomato gravy.
How to Make STOVETOP MEAT LOAVES
- In a small mixing bowl combine the milk, oats, onion, salt, pepper and 3 tablespoons of water. Crumble the beef over the mixture and mix well to combine. Shape into 2 loaves.
- In a small nonstick skillet, brown the loaves on both sides, remove from pan and drain. This is where I wipe my pan out with a paper towel to get as much grease out as possible. Put the loaves back in the pan.
- Combine the cornstarch in the water in a small bowl and whisk until smooth, add the tomato sauce, whisk again. Pour sauce mixture over the meat loaves in the pan.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook for 20 minutes or when your meat thermometer says they are done or no longer pink. Baste three or four times during the cooking time. I like to use a glass lid so I can see when they need basting. They will actually glaze like they do in the oven! The tomato "gravy" is divine, pour it over the loaves when you serve it.
- Calories for each loaf: 259
10 g fat
4g saturated fat
71 mg cholesterol
16 g carbohydrate
25 g protein
Diabetic exchanges 3 lean meat, 1 starch.
- Cook's note: You can use turkey in this recipe. If you do, add 1 teaspoon of chicken granules to each 1/2 pound of ground turkey. Omit the salt.