Steak and Mushrooms by Maggie
We adjusted a few things to bring it to our liking.
You will have some sauce and mushrooms left over .. don't toss that.
Warm it the next day and thicken it .. pour it into a pan with a ground beef patty and some caramelized onion .. You will have some yummyness there !
2 Tbspolive or canola oil
16 ozthickly sliced mushrooms
1/2 cchopped shallots
1 cloveminced garlic
1 tspdry thyme (or sprigs of fresh if you have it)
1 Tbspolive or canola oil
2thick steaks - filet mignon or steak of your choice - about 6 or 8 oz each
1/2 cwine - red for deeper flavor but use what you enjoy drinking for best results
1-1/4 cbeef consomme
2 Tbspworcestershire sauce
1/2 cheavy cream or half and half
How to Make Steak and Mushrooms by Maggie
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium heat.
When the pan is hot add the butter and oil.
Swirl until the butter is melted and no longer foaming.
- Drop your mushrooms into the pan and saute, stirring often, until soft and just beginning to caramelize.
Then add the shallots and continue cooking until the shallots are tender.
- Add the garlic and thyme and give it a quick stir then remove all from the skillet - leaving any oils - and set aside.
NOTE: If you are using fresh thyme begin with 2 sprigs adding more if desired.
Return the skillet to medium heat.
- Sprinkle the steaks liberally with salt and pepper.
Put the butter and oil into the skillet and when the butter is melted place your steaks into the skillet.
- Sear for about 3 minutes on each side then cook just short of your desired doneness.
Remove from skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet pour the wine and boil until reduced by about half.
Then add the consomme and continue boiling until that amount is reduced by about half.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce and the heavy cream.
Cook for about 2 or 3 minutes until the sauce is slightly thickened.
- Return the steaks and mushrooms to the skillet and heat through.