- cube steaks
- 3/4 c
- 1 tsp
- 1/4 tsp
- 1-2 dash(es)
- garlic powder
- 1 small jar(s)
- beef gravy
- 6 oz
- salsa, chunky - i use med. hot, but you may want more or less heat to it.
- 1/2 c
- vegetable oil for frying
How to Make Spiced up Swiss Steak
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over med. high heat.
- 2Mix together the flour, salt & pepper and garlic powder on a plate. Press the cube steaks in the flour making sure they are fully coated. Fry just until well browned on both sides.
- 3While the meat is browning, mix the gravy & salsa together in an 8 x 8 baking pan.
If you're worried about the spiciness or want more, feel free to adjust the salsa. I wouldn't go much less than 2 parts gravy to one part salsa or more than a 1 to 1 ratio for flavor sake.
Place the browned cube steaks in the pan & push down into the gravy so it mostly covers them.
Also, I like to scrape up those bits from the frying pan to add to the gravy.
- 4Cover tightly with foil and bake 45 min. If making more than 4, add a few more minutes to the bake time for each additional steak.
I usually have to double the recipe and bake for 1 hr. in a 9 x 13 pan.
- 5We like to serve this with mashed potatoes because the gravy is just sooo good on them.